Sex and gender discrimination is illegal in California. A top-rated Los Angeles, CA gender discrimination lawyer from Setyan Law can help you.
Sex and gender discrimination may take many forms in the workplace, but it is all illegal. You may be unsure of what you should do if discrimination is present at work. Your best action is to call a Los Angeles, CA gender discrimination attorney at Setyan Law. We will handle the legal process and make sure you’re not retaliated against for reporting an illegal situation.
Do I Need a Gender Discrimination Lawyer?
If you were discriminated against based on your sex or gender, you may find yourself Googling “Is there a Los Angeles, CA gender discrimination lawyer near me?” The answer is Yes! Setyan Law is conveniently located in the Los Angeles, CA area, and we serve clients throughout California.
When you call Setyan Law, you will speak with a compassionate attorney who understands the situation you’re in. We will listen to your story and help you decide the next best steps to take after sex or gender discrimination in the workplace.
Gender Discrimination Laws in California
There are multiple state and federal laws that prohibit sex and gender discrimination. Those include the following:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act – This prohibits employers with 15 or more employees from treating workers differently based on sex, which includes pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Equal Pay Act – This prohibits discrimination based on sex in the payment of wages by employers engaged in commerce or the production of goods for commerce.
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act – This amends Title VII and prohibits discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions.
- California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) – This applies to employers with five or more employees and expands the definition of “gender identity” according to Title VII. It also includes a greater range of discrimination against people based on sex and gender characteristics.
What Types of Sex and Gender Traits are Protected?
State and federal laws protect workers based on several sex and gender traits, including the following:
- Biological Sex (including female, male, intersex, and others)
- Gender Identity (including woman, man, nonbinary, gender-fluid, transgender, and others)
- Gender Expression (including ways of dress, speech, and mannerisms)
While women and sexual minorities are typically thought of when considering gender discrimination, men are also protected. Male gender discrimination is illegal and represents a violation of your rights.
Examples of Gender Discrimination
Systemic gender discrimination may take many forms. You may be unsure of whether someone is violating your rights. If you don’t know how to handle a situation, you should contact a sex discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles, CA to find out what steps you should take.
Some gender discrimination examples include:
- Failure to provide a space or breaks for breastfeeding
- Disparaging remarks about sex or gender traits by coworkers or supervisors
- Passing over certain people for promotions due to sex or gender traits
- Pay discrepancies due to sex or gender
- Failure to promote based on sex or gender
- Sexual harassment or assault
- Sexualized language or unwanted sexual advances
Sex and gender discrimination is often subtle. It can be hard to know if you’re being targeted. That’s why it’s important to work closely with a Los Angeles, CA gender discrimination attorney.
Filing a Gender Discrimination Complaint
If you were discriminated against due to sex or gender traits in Los Angeles, CA, you should immediately contact a workplace discrimination lawyer who can help you file a complaint. You can file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Since California laws generally offer broader protections and more time to file a complaint, it can be beneficial to file a complaint through the DFEH. However, you might opt for an EEOC claim instead. A knowledgeable gender discrimination lawyer can help you decide which is best for you. If your claim at the agency level does not succeed, you should consider taking a gender discrimination lawsuit to court.
How a Gender Discrimination Attorney in Los Angeles Can Help You
Your employer will have a team of attorneys defending against your claims. You need someone who can help you gather evidence to support your gender discrimination case and protect your rights throughout the legal process. The best gender discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles, CA can help you get a sex discrimination settlement or verdict that benefits you. A Los Angeles, CA employment lawyer can answer your questions.
How an Employment Attorney in Los Angeles, CA Can Help You
Employment disputes are about more than winning. They often involve your livelihood and can impact your entire life. Setyan Law has a team of legal professionals and discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles, CA, Pasadena, CA, and Glendale, CA.
We will review your case, gather evidence to support your claims, and fight for you to get the justice you deserve.
Please feel free to call us for a free consultation about your rights.